Qualified organizations are eligible to acquire surplus property from the federal government. The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) uses the state’s surplus property program to coordinate the transfer of federal surplus property to eligible entities located within Montana.


Federal rules limit eligibility to state and local government agencies and districts, tribal nations and certain other nonprofit organizations such as education and health care. A complete list of eligible organizations may be found here: GSA's list of Eligible Organizations and Activities.

Federal surplus is also available to qualified SBA8(a) program participants and will soon be available to veteran owned small businesses after the Veterans Small Business Enhancement Act of 2018 is fully implemented.


Surplus maintains an inventory of federal property at the Helena warehouse, however much more is available online. There are two ways to search for property:

  1. Qualified applicants may receive search only access to screen property from www.GSAXcess.gov. Contact us to get your username and password.
  2. We can put your request on our ‘want list’ and notify you if an item becomes available.


Items that are acquired from the federal government come with a service charge and utilization requirement. Once the utilization requirement is met, the item becomes the property of the receiving agency.


More information can be found in GSA’s Guide to the Federal Surplus Program or by calling (406) 431-3104.

Applications must be submitted to participate in the surplus programs. Contact us to get an application or to find out the status of your account.